St. Augustine-Chronicle 2000-2001
- Sept. 8 & 9: 125th founding anniversary of the SVD was celebrated in St. Augustine with a
Light Show spectacle entitled: Wenn Licht erzählt (When lights narrate) in the Chapel and
seen by more than 2000 people
- Sept. 10: Cologne Cardinal Joachim Meisner celebrated the pontifical Mass followed by a
tribute to the SVD with speeches from various guests like Fr. Antonio Pernia, svd.
- Oct. 1: After six years, the seminary opened again its doors to its neighbors and friends with
various activities like guided tours, concert in the church, games for children, food, songs
and dances from various countries and the Bible Exhibit.
- Oct. 11: The government formally approvied and recognized the promotion of the
Hochschule to a Faculty of Theology.
- Oct. 15: Peter Matthias Platzer professed his First Vows in St. Paul/Wengerohr after a year-
long Novitiate Program.
- Oct. 16: The School Year 2000/2001 was opened with a Eucharist celebrated by Fr.
Provincial Werner Prawdzik while Fr. Georg Kirchberge delivered the "Lectio brevis".
- Oct. 16-20: The St. Augustin Faculty of Theology organized a theological symposium on
with distinguished speakers who expounded the various aspects of Faith.
- Oct. 22: Norbert Dwi Kristiyono was ordained deacon by Cologne Bishop Norbert Trelle who
mentioned the difficulty of doing pastoral work in a pluralistic society.
- Oct. 31: An Ecumenical Prayer was held in the protestant church of St. Paul with Fr. Georg
Kirchberger as preacher.
- Nov. 1: 20 Fratres in temporay vows renewed their commitment for another year in a life of
poverty, chastity and obedience.
- Nov. 6-9: The 16th China Meeting was gathered 46 guests and confreres reflecting on the
place of Hongkong in the church of China with Fr. Antonio Pernia's report on his recent trip
- Dec. 1-2: Recollection days on the challenges of the 15th General Chapter with an impulse
given by Fr. Heribert Bettscheider.
- Dec. 3: Opening of the International Bible Exhibit in the Audi Max
- Dec. 28-Jan. 4, 2001: Four fratres joined a group of more than 100 pilgrims to Medjugorje.
- Jan. 12-14: "Encuentro con America Latina," a week-end encounter with Latin American
culture and problems was attended by more than 50 Missionare auf Zeit (MAZ), guests from
Latin America and confreres.
- Jan. 28: Bible Sunday celebration with an inculturated Liturgy, opening of the International
Bible Exhibit and an encounter with confreres and friends.
- Feb. 19: At the start of Winter Vacation, the fratres participated in various exposure
programs or took some time to unwind. Six of them had school exposures (see page 18 &
19) and 2 went to a parish.
- Feb. 28: Recollection day with an effort to come up with a Vision-Mission Statement for the
- March 3-11: Nine Fratres went to Poland, stayed in the SVD house in Zakopane and had a
taste of the polish culture.
- March 18: Norbert Dwi Kristiyono was ordained priest by Dresden-Meißen Bishop Joachim
Reinelt at 3 pm followed by a buffet in the seminary aula.
- March 20: Thanksgiving Mass of Frs. Norbert, Peter Du and Devis who delivered the homily
for the celebration.
- April 1: Misereor Sunday was celebrated with an international Mass presided by Fr. Helmut
- April 17: The start of the Summer Semester.
- May 4: A festive celebration for the formal recognition of the status of the St. Augustin
Faculty of Theology.